The days are getting shorter and there is a definite chill in the air.
Summer is, alas, on it’s last legs and it’s time to get ready for the colder weather.
Nothing like new clothes to make a girl feel better about the weather, right?
So here’s the deal: –
The trends for autumn and winter 2017 have a definite romantic vibe but there is also a bit of edge and glamour to keep things interesting.
Main colour trends
The two colours that seem to be dominate the trend list are light pinks and blues and it is very clear that grey is going to be the leading basic colour this winter.
I am also seeing a lot of burgundy and royal blue, especially in velvet fabrics.
Winter white or ivory is also big and works like a dream with the light pinks and blues. Add a little grey to the mix and you are truly on trend!
Khaki/Olive is another colour that I’m seeing more of this year. It can be combined with almost any colour, so I’ll risk calling it a basic colour, at least for this coming season.
As always, you can never go wrong with black and navy and I would always recommend that you invest in classic basic pieces in these two colours.
Main Fashion trends
Anything with embroidery, especially floral embroidery…
From handbags to bomber jackets, jeans, and even shoes, embroidery is big. You can even recycle an older clothing item by adding a little embroidery – it’s as simple as taking it to your nearest embroidery shop. In smaller towns, chances are that there is a lady or two who can do still embroider by hand for a truly unique look.
Embroidery adds a romantic, feminine element to your wardrobe, so however you choose to do it, whether buying off the rack or having an older piece specially embroidered, be sure to incorporate it into your collection.
This luxurious fabric has made a big comeback this season.
In the past, velvet was only really used for formal evening wear, but this winter, you’ll see bodysuits, coats, jackets, pants, hats, gloves, scarves and bags in this stunning fabric. It can be dressed up or down and will add a touch of glamour to any outfit.
Add a touch of bling to your look with metallics.
Although the metallic trend can be seen everywhere in the fashion realm, shoes are a great way to ease into this trend and incorporate it into your everyday look.
Sneakers, pumps, loafers, brogues and heels in shiny satin or patent leather are available in all of the trendy pinks and blues as well as burgundy, navy and shades of silver, gold, rose gold, pewter, and bronze.
Ruffled sleeves, bell sleeves, flared sleeves, sleeves with embroidery and longer length sleeves will add interest to your wardrobe this winter.
Be sure to show off your interesting sleeves by combining them with simple pieces. The sleeves should speak for themselves!
The bomber jacket
This 90’s favourite has been given a make-over and can now be found in even the most exclusive fashion circles.
Back in the 90’s it was referred to as a “football jacket” and every TV series for teens involved some storyline about the college football quarterback giving his jacket to a girl he fancied…
Fortunately, you don’t have to date a football player to get your hands on one of these this year!
As far as shoes are concerned, there are a few old favourites and a few new trends.
- Sneakers. Everybody needs a pair of basic white sneakers as a go to, but you should also consider a pair in a metallic finish or a leather look for this winter. Slip-on sneakers are a great alternative to the typical lace-up.
- Shoes with lace ties around the ankles. This ballet inspired trend has been around all summer, but it is here to stay for winter too. Anything from ballet pumps to stiletto heels with lace tie details are featuring throughout the fashion industry.
- Block/stacked heels. This comfortable heel is not an altogether new trend, but it is definitely huge. The look has been updated for the season with accents of velvet and embroidery.
- Ankle Boots. No wardrobe is complete without a pair of ankle boots. This season you will find them in a number of different styles, from leather to velvet, flat to kitten heel to stiletto and even with some embroidery detail.
- Over-the-knee Boots. Last year we saw a lot of tall boots, but this year they’re even taller. This is a difficult boot to pull off, and I would only recommend this to the younger diva’s and those with excellent thighs…
- Brogues. A look that was borrowed from the boys. These comfortable lace-up flats with punched hole details are a must have for the coming season. Two-tone brogues are especially fashionable. Bonus if they’re metallic 🙂
- Loafers. These are also borrowed from the boys. It is a slip-on shoe, much like a moccasin, but more structured and this year you will be right on trend if you get yourself a pair of slip-on loafers with open heels.
Apart from the above, it is always a good idea to have a pair of plain black leather pumps and a pair of animal print pumps in your collection. This year snakeskin is very fashionable, but leopard will also do.
On the accessory front, it would appear that less is definitely more. In most cases you’ll get away with a simple choker necklace, plain earrings and a plain watch.
I hope that this has been of some help to you.
I look forward to seeing some pics of your outfits of the day on my FB feed in the coming months!